Facebook 1

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Chocolate chip cookie, Oreo, and brownie bars

It's funny what happens to me on my walk home from work.  Or rather what I do on said walk.  I check my email on my phone.  Then I take a glimpse at Facebook.  And I come across this, a recipe for chocolate chip cookie-Oreo-brownie bars, posted on a friend's page.  I decided that I'd need to make these.  Tonight.  Because I clearly have nothing else more pressing on my agenda.  No 10-15 page paper due in a week, nope, nothing...So I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and bought double stuffed Oreos (since I pretty much have everything else I'll need for this at home already, and despite my recent Oreo recipe, I don't particularly love Oreos nor do I keep a stash of them on hand at home). 

I did a few things differently:
1. I made chocolate chip cookie dough (but not the one from the blog) - I used an old standby, Toll House chocolate chip cookie dough
2. I made brownies from scratch to put on top, instead of using a boxed mix.  Just because that simply (or not so simply) is the way I do things.

Chocolate Chip Cookie - Oreo - Brownie Bars (!!)
I wanted to make these from the minute I heard about them (which was, admittedly, about 3 and a half hours ago).  Not necessarily because I want to eat them, but because of the wow factor.  I mean cookies, brownies, and double stuffed oreos in one baked treat?!  How awesome is that?

I made these using the Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the bag, double stuffed Oreos, and a brownie recipe that I had used in the past (minus the peanuts the original called for).

The recipe is as follows:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Part (Straight off the bag of Toll House Semi-Sweet Morsels)
(The original recipe calls for 2 and 1/4 cups of flour, but the blog said to use a little less flour than you normally would)

2 cups of flour (all-purpose)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar (granulated sugar)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12 oz package) Toll House semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Directions: combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.  Set aside.  Beat butter, both sugars, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in morsels.

Brownie Layer
This brownie recipe is the same recipe as the peanut brownie layer from the Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies with Salted Peanuts from Epicurious that I made about 2 months ago.  I took out the peanuts and added a little extra salt (because I left out the salted peanuts).  Below are the ingredients I used for this batch of brownies.

3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
7 oz bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used bittersweet)
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour

Directions: Melt butter and both chocolates in a heavy large sauce pan (I didn't read it closely, and instead did mine in a homemade double-boiler, which worked perfectly fine, too).  Remove from heat, and whisk in sugar, vanilla, and salt.  Add eggs, 1 at a time.  Fold in flour.

To assemble
Preehat the oven to 350F.  Line a 9x13" baking tray with wax paper and spray with cooking spray.  Spread the cookie dough on the bottom (I had to use my hands because every time I used the spatula, the whole piece of wax paper would shift).  Cover the cookie layer with a layer of double stuffed Oreos.  I pushed mine into the cookie dough just a little bit.  Pour the brownie batter over it and spread it till its flat and even.  Bake for 45-55 minutes.


And the finished product:


No comments:

Post a Comment