Facebook 1

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Candied espresso walnuts

I found the easiest recipe for awesome candied walnuts.  Of course, the recipe didn't say "easiest candied walnuts," but they were incredibly easy to make!  I had almost all the ingredients on hand, which made them a convenient thing to make on Christmas Eve, when I got back to my apartment at 6 p.m. and didn't have time to run to the store (since they were most likely closed, given the holiday).  The only thing I did differently was that I used finely ground coffee instead of espresso, since that is what I had on hand.  My only suggestion - up the cinnamon a little bit.  Otherwise, they're a keeper just as they are - super flavorful and easy to make!

This picture doesn't even do them justice, sadly.
Candied Espresso Walnuts (from Bon Appetit)
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2/3 cup sugar
2 T finely ground espresso beans (I used regular finely ground coffee)
1 T instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (In the future I'd use a full teaspoon)
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg white
4 cups walnut halves

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325F.

Whisk together sugar, ground espresso beans, instant espresso, cinnamon, and salt.  Set aside.

Whisk egg white in a large bowl until frothy.  Add walnuts and toss until coated.  Sprinkle with dry mixture, mix to coat.  Spread them onto prepared sheet in a single layer.

Bake for 5 minutes.  Loosen with spatula, toss, and rearrange into a single layer again.  Bake until walnuts are dry to the touch, about another 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment