Facebook 1

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Fruit Jellies

I had been wanting to make these candies for a while, but school just got in the way!  I think the hardest part was deciding on the flavor combinations.  I ended up deciding on pineapple-raspberry and white grape-apricot.

The first batch I made was the pineapple-raspberry one.  The jar of raspberry preserves said it had 18 oz in it, but when I measured out the 2 cups of jam I needed, I didn't have enough (2 cups should be 16 oz), so I ended up making pineapple-raspberry-strawberry fruit jellies instead.  I was a little disappointed that when I poured it into the tray (I used a 9x9 pan, since I don't own an 8x8 pan), a whitish pink film  formed over most of the surface.  I sat there trying to skim it off (mostly unsuccessfully), only later to realize I could cut it off once I cut the candies into cubes, before tossing it in the sugar.  Something to keep in mind when I make the white grape-apricot ones...

I had so much of the pineapple-raspberry-strawberry batch that I halved the recipe (a trend I've noticed I make a habit of) for the white grape-apricot one.

The best part of this recipe?  Four ingredients.  Yup, you read that correctly.  Four.  Another great thing about these is that they can be made up to 2 weeks in advance!  That means that I can include some of them in my tray for my doormen (you know me, always thinking ahead!).  (Mine got soft after they sat out for a while, so I recommend keeping them in the fridge until just before serving.)


Fruit Jellies (courtesy of Martha Stewart)
You can make these with any flavor combination of juice and jam - let your imagination run wild!

1 and 1/3 cups of fruit juice (or water) - divided
1 oz gelatin (4 packets of 1/4 oz each)
2 and 1/2 cups of sugar - divided
2 cups fruit jam or preserves

Place 2/3 cup of juice in a small bowl, and sprinkle with the gelatin.  Let sit for 5 minutes.

In a medium saucepan, mix the remaining 2/3 cup of juice with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring, utnil sugar has dissolved.  Add preserves and whisk until combined.  Return to a boil and cook until thick and syrupy.  Add gelatin mixture and whisk until gelatin dissolves.  Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into an 8x8 inch baking dish (I used a 9x9, which works too).  Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours (or up to 2 weeks).

Before serving: place remaining 1 cup of sugar in a shallow plate/bowl.  Cut fruit jellies into 1 inch squares.  Toss in sugar to coat just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment