Facebook 1

Monday, February 10, 2014

Dark chocolate chunk cookies

Last month I made a bunch of giant cookies for my friend's friend's baby shower (the milk chocolate chunk, oatmeal cranberry, peanut butter monster cookies, and the coconut oatmeal chocolate ones).  I also made extra cookies to take to a friend's birthday celebration but the bar wouldn't let me bring them in.  What to do with the extra cookies?  Well, I started by bringing one of each flavor to B.  B and I agreed that the milk chocolate chunk cookies were the best of the bunch (I knew he was smart!).


So when my friend had a baby at the end of January, and they were planning the bris, I offered to make some treats.  Of course I was going to make some chocolate lollipops, but I wanted to make something else too.  We decided on an assortment of cookies to be served at the brunch.

While I definitely made some milk chocolate chunk cookies, I also decided I would make a second batch with dark chocolate chunks.  The original recipe called for semisweet chocolate anyway.  Even though I made an entire batch of milk chocolate chunk cookies, I'll spare you yet another blog post about them.  So why did I mention them in the first place?  I just didn't want you thinking that I only made a few varieties of cookies for the bris.


I have to say, these cookies are so delicious, you could put just about anything in them (trust me, I'm thinking about it now...).  So it's not at all a surprise that these dark chocolate chunk cookies are as delicious as their milk chocolate counterparts!

Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Originally from Smitten Kitchen, and posted as "Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies" on this blog

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips -- I used 2 cups of dark chocolate chunks, which I got from cutting a giant dark chocolate bar cut into chunks

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). 
Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. 
In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. 

Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. 
Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. 

Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. 
Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup (for a ridiculously large cookie, one or two tablespoons for more standard-sized cookies.  I used my cookie scoop, which if I had to estimate, is about 1-1.5 Tbsp) at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. 
Cookies should be about 3 inches apart. 
I pressed the tops of my cookies a little to make them more like discs, since I wanted them bigger and flat.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes (closer to 12 minutes for non-1/4 cup scoop cookies...Mine took 15 minutes and came out perfectly!) in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. 
Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment