Facebook 1

Monday, January 20, 2014

Chocolate oatmeal coconut cookies

So by now those of you who know me (either personally or through the blog) know that when it comes to baking, I tend to do things in excess.  My friends 30th birthday a few years ago?  Yeah, I made two cakes.  My birthday this year?  A week of treats (ok, ok, it was only 4 days...).  A 30th birthday party last year resulted in 36 cupcakes for about 15 people (red velvet and Samoa).  And when we went wine tasting this past fall, I brought another 36 cupcakes (this time cannoli-inspired and chocolate-peanut butter-pretzel ones).  I could go on, but I think you get the picture...

So when my friend P asked me to bake cookies for a baby shower last weekend, I couldn't stop at one, two, or three varieties.  I needed to make a fourth type.  I debated a fifth, but we can talk about that later.



This time I set out to make some chocolate oatmeal coconut cookies. For some reason, they intrigued me. I used to hate coconut, but lately it's been growing on me.  I think it started with those Samoa cupcakes, but then there were also the toasted coconut marshmallows and the coconut caramel cupcakes on New Years.

These cookies were really good, but I think you lose out on a little by making them so big.  Therefore, my bottom line with these cookies is make them, just don't make them huge!

Chocolate Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
from Taste and Tell

Ingredients:

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 cups oats
1 1/2 cups coconut
12 oz semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (2 cups)
 
Directions: 
 
Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a mixer, beat together the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Beat in the vanilla, salt, and baking soda.
Add in the flour and beat just until combined.
Add in the oats, coconut and chocolate chips.
Beat until combined.
 
Place 1/4-cup scoops of the dough on a greased cookie sheet, at least 3 inches apart.
Pat down to circles 1/2-inch high.
 
Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, rotating cookie sheet halfway through the baking time.
Cool on cooling racks.

The result?  19 ginormous cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment