Facebook 1

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Oatmeal cranberry cookies

Remember that baby shower I posted about yesterday?  The one where I said I was going to make a few varieties of cookies and that you should stay tuned?  Well, you should be glad you did because these next cookies that I made were pretty darn awesome!



I personally love oatmeal raisin cookies and find that too many people add nuts to theirs, therefore making me dislike them (if you're new to this blog, you should know for the future that I really don't like nuts in my baked goods).  I also love craisins, and find oatmeal craisin cookies to be delicious...I particularly like the tart dried cranberries in the sweet brown sugary cookie.  I debated trying some with white chocolate chips but was afraid that the white chocolate might be too sweet in the cookie, so I skipped the white chocolate chips this time. 

Because my friend had basically requested a cookie per person, I didn't want to skimp on the cookies and make them mini, so I went the complete opposite route and made massive cookies!  I tried to keep them the same size as the chocolate chunk ones.  I think I did a pretty decent job (the trick?  Using the same sized scooper for the cookies -- in this case an ice cream scoop).

Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies (with and without White Chocolate Chips)
From Yums and Loves

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sweetened dried cranberries (we both used Craisins)
1 and 1/4 cups old fashioned oats -- for some reason, these were left out in the directions below, so I added them in
2 cups white chocolate chips -- I skipped this this time

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat. 

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.  
Set aside. 

Beat butter at medium speed with mixer until creamy.  

Add sugars, beating well.
Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended.  
I added the oats here.
Gradually add flour mixture and beat until blended, scraping bowl as needed.  
Stir in cranberries and white chocolate chips.  I did that using a spatula, since the dough was thick and getting stuck in my hand mixer (which I'm using since I haven't been able to get my Kitchen-Aid fixed yet).
 
Drop dough by heaping spoonful onto cookie sheet.  I used my ice cream scoop, and again pressed them down a little into discs.
Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.  
Cool on sheet for about 2 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. 

I ended up getting 16 GIGANTIC cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment