Facebook 1

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Cookie dough Oreos

So about a week ago, I started seeing new Oreo flavors popping up.  It started on Instagram, and shortly thereafter I saw them on Facebook.  So it should be no surprise that when I went to Target later that day to pick up some stuff, I checked out the Oreos on the shelf.  Sure, they had double stuff, and some kind of lemon Oreo, and then there were also mint ones, and a few other flavors (have you seen the triple-decker ones with 3 cookies and a layer of regular and chocolate cream?  Well those were there, too).  But out of sight?  The two new flavors I had been seeing on those Instagram and Facebook feeds.  Cookie dough and marshmallow crispy (!!!).  (Later, after I had made the dough for these cookies and was starting the blog post, I saw that they were slated to come out on February 3rd, which was, incidentally, the night I made the dough.  I even thought about stopping at Target on my way home from work on February 3rd, but with the snow and the subways running so bizarrely, I decided against it.  Bad move on my part.  I'll had to wait a few more days to check them out.)



So despite the fact that I have a ton of Oreo-themed recipes on this blog (things with Oreos - such as these, this, and even these - as well as homemade Oreos), I don't particularly love Oreos.  I think it's the cream, since I do love the crunch of the uber-chocolately cookie when the cream has been strategically removed.


Since I couldn't get my hands on the Oreos in the store, I kinda wanted to make these when I saw them online at work that fateful day a few days ago.  Homemade cookie dough Oreos.  Sounded pretty good to me.  And the gross weather outside (New York City got 4.3 inches of snow, although it seems like a lot more) made it easier for me to justify coming home from work, relaxing a little, and then baking (rather, making cookie dough to bake tomorrow).  Plus I really wanted to see if the cookie was actually really close to an Oreo cookie.  Imagine what fun I could have with a(nother) great roll-out chocolate cookie!

Honestly, I found the filling to be insanely sweet, and wasn't a super huge fan of it.  I'm sure if I played around with it a little, I might be able to decrease the sweetness while still making it taste like cookie dough, but I didn't do that this time.

All I can say?  Oh.  My.  Gosh!  These cookies are AMAZING.  I love that they're so intensely decadently chocolatey.  I have a feeling I'll be making the cookies again soon....very soon!



Homemade Cookie Dough Oreos
From Love & Olive Oil

Ingredients:

For the cookies:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips, melted and slightly cooled
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark or Dutch-processed cocoa powder -- I had intended to use my Dutch cocoa, but I ended up using dark cocoa powder, simply because it was easier to reach in my kitchen.  I thought they came out delicious!
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

For the filling:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugar until combined.
Whisk in the vanilla and melted chocolate.
Add the egg and whisk until incorporated.

In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
Stir flour mixture into the chocolate mixture, using your hands if needed to form a smooth dough, using your hands if needed to form a smooth dough.  I used a large whisk and it worked beautifully.
Divide the dough into two (I ended up dividing into 3), and either roll each piece to 1/4 inch thick between two pieces of waxed paper, or roll into two 2 1/2 inch diameter logs.  I opted for the rolling method.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm.

Heat oven to 325F.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

Cut dough logs into quarter inch thick slices, or cut out 2 1/2 inch circles from the dough sheets.  My circle cookie cutter is about 1.5 inches, so that's what I used.
Arrange on prepared baking sheet, leaving at least 1 inch between cookies.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cookies are set and just starting to darken around the edges.  Since my cookies were smaller, I had to eyeball them a little.  I ended up baking them for just under 9 minutes.  The dough is SO dark, I honestly don't think you'll see them "darken around the edges."

Prepare filling:
Beat butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Mix in flour, salt, and vanilla extract on low speed until incorporated.
Add cream and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add more cream if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Stir in chocolate chips.

Assemble cookies:
Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon of filling onto underside of half of the cooled cookies.
Top with remaining cookies.
Press lightly to adhere.

Cookies will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to one week.
Let come to room temperature before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment