Facebook 1

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Chewy ginger cookies

My goal after work today was to bake some cookies.  Not such a lofty goal, especially for me.  And especially because I got out of work early today.  The problem?  I didn't have a specific cookie in mind.  I just wanted to bake.  I think I'm feeling a bit guilty that I didn't do a "cookie of the day" in December leading up to Christmas.  Maybe I'll get a "cookie every two to three days" in.  That may be wishful thinking, since I have cupcakes to make for this weekend, but I may still get some cookies in, too.


I searched my cookies page on Pinterest, then searched through a few cookie emails I received this week, and ultimately decided on one that I had found in one of the (insanely many) cooking magazines I had bought recently.  I settled on some giant ginger cookies, but decided to make them smaller.  Luckily I wasn't the only one who had thought about that, and the recipe even had a "mini" variation.


 
I love ginger, so it should come as no surprise that I wanted ginger cookies.  They did, however, call for cloves and well, I don't like them.  I decided that I'd halve the cloves, and then went for a little less than half the cloves.  I think the flavor was pretty delicious without being clove-heavy.

I used my cookie scoop for uniform sized cookies, and then ended up rolling them in regular sugar instead of the coarse sugar that the recipe called for.  I didn't want such a crunch on the cookies from the coarse sugar, so the regular granulated sugar added a little sweetness without the crunch.

Giant (although I made mine smaller) Ginger Cookies
I found it in a magazine and then googled it so that you could easily get the recipe.  You're welcome ;-)

Makes: 25 4-inch cookies (or 160 mini (1.75-inch) cookies as per the magazine -- I didn't get quite that many - I halved the recipe and got just over 60 cookies)

Ingredients:

4 1/2  cups  all-purpose flour
4  teaspoons  ground ginger
2  teaspoons  baking soda
1 1/2  teaspoons  ground cinnamon
1  teaspoon  ground cloves
1/4  teaspoon  salt
1 1/2  cups  shortening
2  cups  granulated sugar
2  eggs
1/2  cup  molasses
3/4  cup  coarse sugar (the print version didn't give this option, but the online one does: or granulated sugar)
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 350F.
 
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together: flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
Set aside.
 
In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to soften.
Gradually add the 2 cups of granulated sugar.
Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  
Beat in eggs and molasses.
Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer (I got all of it combined).
Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.
 
Shape dough into 2-inch balls using 1/4 cup dough (I made mine much smaller).
Roll balls in the 3/4 cup of coarse or granulated sugar.
Place about 1.5 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I used parchment paper).
 
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-14 minutes (My minis took about 5 minutes; the timer didn't go off for the first batch and they were in for 9 minutes -- those cookies didn't burn, but as they cooled, they were less chewy) or until cookies are light brown and puffed.  Do not overbake or cookies will not be chewy.
 
Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. 
Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Store tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment