Facebook 1

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Loaded peanut butter chocolate covered potato chip dulce de leche fudge

Yup, you read that right.  Loaded peanut butter chocolate covered potato chip dulce de leche fudge.  That is quite the mouthful!  The recipe actually has two titles, one with and one without "dulce de leche."  Regardless, I was intrigued.  I read a little further.  Guess what it's loaded with?  Hershey's kisses (I used the mini ones), mini Reese's, and potato chips!

 

I debated making fudge because the only two fudges I remember making (cookie dough and white chocolate-Oreo) were super, super sweet!  And with the sweetened condensed milk AND dulce de leche, I thought that this one would be super sweet.  But the addition of the potato chips gave me a little hope.  Maybe the saltiness of the chips would counter the sweetness from, well, everything else.


Yet I still couldn't resist.  There was just something about this that called to me.  And I think part of it was that it's so giftable.  As in, it would be perfect in a box of treats for someone or a group of someones.  And I suspected that due to their sweetness, I could cut them into smaller pieces, and I would get a ton of fudge.


Now, I was again in one of those situations where the recipe called for an 8 x 8 inch pan, and I instead used by 9 x 9 inch pan.  All that meant was that I upped the topping amounts a little bit.  I still used the 6 oz of dark chocolate, though.  I think all in all, they turned out pretty tasty looking.



About this fudge:  It is sweet.  But not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be.  The little bit of peanut butter in them and the potato chips did a better job of counteracting the sweetness than I thought they would.  Good job, PB and potato chips!  The original recipe says to cut it into 16 pieces (which would be, by my rough estimate, to be 2 x 2 inch squares).  Despite the fact that it's not that sweet, I think a 2 x 2 inch square would send anyone into a sugar coma.  So I decided to cut mine into 1 x 1 inch squares.  They weren't perfectly 1 x 1 inch, but they were manageable in terms of sweetness. 

Loaded Peanut Butter Chocolate Covered Potato Chip Dulce de Leche Fudge
from HalfBakedHarvest.com

Ingredients:

20 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 (13.4 oz) can dulce de leche (may substitute 1 can of sweetened condensed milk), divided
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (about 1/2 can)
2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Hershey's chocolate kisses, chopped (I used mini Hershey's Kisses, and just cut them in half)
1/2 cup mini Reese's, chopped (I just cut them in half)
6 oz dark chocolate, melted, divided
1 cup ruffled potato chips

I increased the last 4 ingredients slightly, since I only have a 9 x 9 inch pan, which increases the surface area, so I just added a little extra of the toppings to make sure the fudge was completely covered with the yummy goodness that makes this fudge both "loaded" and "potato chip."

Directions:

Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with waxed or parchment paper.   I only have a 9 x 9 inch pan, so that's what I used.  See above about what I did to make up for the larger pan.

Add semi-sweet chocolate and 3/4 can of dulce de leche (leaving 1/2 cup over) to a double boiler, and melt completely.  I measured out a half cup and then used the rest.  It looked like 1/2 cup was just under half of the can, so I recommend doing what I did and taking out the half cup first.
Once melted, remove from the hear and slowly add in sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract, stirring with a large spatula until mixed. 
The chocolate with be thick.  She was NOT kidding.  This sh*t is THICK.  THICKER than thick.  It still works.  Slowly stir and fold the chocolate mixture over until combined.
Use the spatula or large spoon to spread the chocolate into the pan.  It will be very thick, so just try and spread it as evenly as you can.  I used a piece of wax paper to flatten it out with my hands
Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set.

Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth.

Remove the pan from the fridge.
Pour 3/4 of the dark chocolate over the fudge.
Using the back of a spoon, spread it evenly over the top of the fudge.
Immediately cover it with the chopped Reese's and kisses.
Take the remaining dulce de leche and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds. 
Let cool for 3 minutes then drizzle over the candy layer.
Add the potato chips on top of the candy, crushing them if you'd like.  I used my wax paper again and just pressed the crushed potato chips into the chocolate and dulce de leche so that they stuck.
Now grab the remaining melted chocolate and drizzle over the potato chips.
Let set in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

Use a sharp knife to cut the fudge into 16 squares.  I cut mine into a few more squares -- see above.

No comments:

Post a Comment