Facebook 1

Monday, December 23, 2013

Chocolate crunch

I've made a lot of Rice Krispie Treats this year.  Most recently were some Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats, sprinkled with some crushed candy canes.  They were deliciously pepperminty without being overly pepperminty.  I bought a large box of Rice Krispies so that I could make a second kind of Rice Krispie treat that my friend N had been talking about a lot lately, but then I saw this recipe that I got in an email, and knew that this was the best use for my leftover Rice Krispies.  Partly because they'll be perfect for the box of treats for my doormen, and partly because they use chocolate, and you know me -- I'm a sucker for chocolate!  Especially dark chocolate!


I know, I know, you're going to look at the ingredients and you're going to think "one and a half POUNDS of chocolate?  Is she serious?"  And the answer is....yes.  You read that correctly.  I'm a sucker for dark chocolate, so I planned to keep the ingredients just as they are.  See, I was thinking that you might be able to use another chocolate if you wanted, but frankly, I'd stick with the dark chocolate.  Except when I got to the store to buy the dark chocolate, they were out.  Out of dark chocolate.  The nerve!  So instead I went ahead and bought some milk chocolate, thinking that it would be good that way, but maybe a little sweeter than dark chocolate.  But I have to say, subbing the milk chocolate for the dark chocolate came out, well, awesome!


I thought about adding some French sea salt to the chocolate mixture, but figured that would be better with dark chocolate than milk chocolate..  I also thought about sprinkling some festive sprinkles on top since they're for the holidays.  And then I thought about drizzling them with some contrasting chocolate just for some pizazz.  I ended up doing none of the three.  The first time I made them, I wanted to see how they were as they are.  They were delicious!  The second two options wouldn't really alter the flavor but would make them more festive.

Chocolate Crunch
By the Mast Brothers, found via TastingTable.com

It says it makes 24 squares, but I can't figure how they make 24 squares, but I digress.  I guess they cut them 4 x 6 to yield 24, but they aren't squares.  I tried cutting mine in 1.5 x 1.5 inch squares, which yielded 36 squares.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds dark chocolate, chopped -- Like I said, I had actually intended to keep the recipe exactly as it, but lack of dark chocolate in the store meant I had to compromise...so I used milk chocolate...and they turned out deliciously. 
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp honey
4 cups puffed rice cereal

Directions:

Although the recipe didn't state it, I lined my 9 x 9 inch pan with wax paper (parchment paper would work, also).  I just figured it would make it easier to remove from the tray.

In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter.  Mine was on the thicker side.
Add peanut butter and honey and mix until combined.
Remove from the heat, mix in the puffed rice and pour into a 9-inch square baking pan.  Since mine was thicker, it was difficult to mix well and it didn't pour so well, so instead of pouting it I transferred it to a pan and then pressed it down using some plastic wrap (wax paper would've worked well, too, except I was out of it).

Let set in the fridge, at least 2 hours.
Bring to room temperature before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment