Facebook 1

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Poppable Rice Krispie treats

I've had 2 disjointed thoughts about these treats that I feel the need to share with you:

1. Sometimes I see a recipe online, and I think to myself "that's brilliant!"  And after a second of berating myself with thoughts of "why didn't I think of that?!," I realize that I'd really like to give the creator of said recipe a giant hug or pat on the back.  Even though I don't know them and they'd probably be freaked out by me doing so, but still.  Latest on the list?  Most recently was Shelly from Cookies & Cups, and her Toasted Marshmallow Rice Krispie Treats (here's the link to mine).  And she did it again with these Krispie Treat Party Bites.

2. I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin anything.  I've decided it's two-fold: I don't like pumpkin pie spices and I don't like pumpkin itself that much, either.  But it's the first few days of cooler weather in New York City, and that screams FALL!! to me.  And to most people, fall means pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin pie and all those festive pumpkin-y fall treats.  And I wanted to make a fall dessert for the cooler weather, but I wanted to avoid pumpkin.  So I needed to come up with something...

_____________________________________________________________

And now back to my regularly scheduled post:


Truth be told, I love Rice Krispie Treats.  Not the prepackaged, wrapped in blue foil ones you buy in the store but the tried-and-true homemade variety.  Sometimes, I think it's a waste to take the time to press them into a pan and set, since I think the best part is licking off the spatula!  And while these are a little more time intensive than bars that are pressed into a pan, they're utterly adorable and worth the slight increase in effort!


Because they're POPPABLE!  Mini Rice Krispie Treat balls rolled into nonpareil sprinkles, and made into a 1 or 2 bite snack!

See?  2 little bites....


And the best part?  You can make them to match any theme!  I made mine in yellow-orange-brown nonpareils because it's fall, but you could use any colored nonpareils to match the season or holiday or a party color theme.  Can you tell I'm a planner?!  Already thinking about making some of these for Halloween...


Poppable Rice Krispie Treats
From Cookies & Cups

Ingredients:

1/3 cup nonpareil sprinkles, in your choice of color or combination
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups mini marshmallows
Pinch of salt (I left this out)
2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (I used Trader Joe's brand)

Directions:

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Set aside.

Place sprinkles in a bowl.
Set aside.

Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat.
Add the mini marshmallows into the melted butter.
Stir frequently until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
Immediately remove from the heat.

Stir in the cereal.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Lightly grease your hands and form the Krispie Treat mixture into 1 Tablespoon-sized balls.

Immediately roll each ball into the sprinkles, coating evenly.
Place each ball onto the lined baking sheet.
Repeat the process with the remainder of the Rice Krispie Treat mixture.

Try not to eat them all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment