Facebook 1

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Chewy oatmeal raisin cookies

Everyone says their mother makes the best brisket -- but mine really does!  Over three years ago, when B and I first met, we talked about my mom's brisket.  And although it took a while for him to actually get to try it, he happens to agree!

So it should come as no surprise that this year, when I asked my mom what I could bake for dessert for Rosh Hashana, she said "Just some cookies.  We don't really ever eat dessert because we always fill up on the brisket and the meal, and I don't want you to go overboard with dessert."  Well, I got half of it right....I made cookies, but not just cookies, lots of cookies.  A variety of cookies -- 4 types, to be exact!  I had set my goals a little loftier at first (I had about 8 kinds of cookies I wanted to make) but time was not on my side, and some had to fall by the wayside.  

Of the ones I actually got to make, the first up were these chewy oatmeal raisin cookies. 


Now I've made my fair share of oatmeal raisin cookies in the past, but one of my biggest complaints was that they weren't quite as soft and chewy as I'd like.  The flavor was always spot on, but sometimes they were perfect out of the oven, but once they cooled they were a little on the crispier side.  OK, not the worst thing in the world, but sometimes you could really just go for a soft chewy cookie.  This recipe was the answer!!

From Sally's Baking Addiction

Ingredients:  

1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar (I used light because that's what I had on hand)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp molasses
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon (I used a little more because I love cinnamon!)
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raisins (soaked in warm water for about 10 minutes to plump them up, then drained and blotted to dry them)
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional.  I left these out because (a) I don't like nuts in my baked goods, and (b) we are having a nut-free holiday because my nut-allergic cousin is coming)

Directions: 

Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars on medium speed until smooth.
Add the eggs and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute.
Scrap down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
Add the vanilla and molasses and mix on high until combined.
Set aside.

In a separate bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined.
Beat in the oats, raisins, and walnuts (if using) on low speed.
The dough will be thick yet very sticky.
Chill the dough for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.  
If chilling for longer (up to 2 days), allow the dough to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F.
Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Set aside.

Roll balls of dough (about 1.5 Tbsp worth) and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.  Or use a cookie scoop for uniform cookies, which I prefer to do.
Bake for 10 minutes until very lightly browned on the sides.  The centers will look very soft and undone.
Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes (the cookies will continue to "set" on the baking sheet) before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh, covered and at room temperature, for up to 1 week.  Baked cookies freeze well, up to 3 months.  Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well, up to 3 months, and do not need to be thawed but just be baked for an extra minute

No comments:

Post a Comment