Facebook 1

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Triple ginger cookies revisited

A long time ago, I made these triple ginger cookies.  Almost 2.5 years ago, I made those cookies because of my love of ginger and I wanted a tasty cookie.  They turned out delicious, but given a lot of what was going on in my life at the time (grad school, portfolios, stress....), I didn't have all the ingredients on hand - I fell short on the crystallized ginger, I didn't have molasses so I subbed in corn syrup.  So while I ended up making a delicious cookie, I wanted to revisit this recipe and make them as they were supposed to be made.  But then I made a few smaller adjustments (no allspice, no cloves, because in my personal opinion, ugh!!).  All I have to say is, it was worth it!  These cookies were the star of our Rosh Hashana lunch!  My grandmother wanted me to make more for her, my cousin was literally drooling on the table cloth, and my aunt thought they were super tasty.  It's a good thing I made extra dough and froze it, because guess what I'm bringing (in addition to other things) to my aunt's house when we break the fast on Yom Kippur this week!


Triple Ginger Cookies
Adapted ever so slightly from Will Cook for Friends

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8th tsp. sea salt
3/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped fine
1 stick (4oz.) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
2 tsp. freshly grated ginger*
1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling

As per the original recipe, * Crystallized ginger can be chilled in the freezer to make chopping easier. Fresh ginger can be stored in the freezer for easier peeling and grating.

Directions:

Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
Add in the chopped crystallized ginger, breaking up any clumps.

In a large bowl, or the bowl of your mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and fresh ginger.
Pour in the molasses and beat well.

Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
The mixture should be thick and somewhat sticky.
Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, fold the plastic over itself, and pat into a 1 inch thick disc.
Wrap it up and refrigerate until firm (at least 1-2 hours, or up to a few days).

Tear or break the dough into about 20 equal chunks, and roll each into a ball between your palms.
Roll each ball in granulated sugar, and return to the fridge to keep cool (rolled cookies can be stored in the fridge, or frozen in an airtight container, for future baking).

Preheat oven to 325F. 
Place the chilled balls of dough onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet, spacing them at least 1.5 inches apart.
Bake on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes, or until the surface begins to crack - for a crispier cookie, bake a few minutes longer (I like chewy cookies, personally, so I skipped the extra time).
Let the cookies cool 3-4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Once completely cool, cookies can be stored in a baggie or airtight container for several days, or frozen...but they won't last that long.




No comments:

Post a Comment