Facebook 1

Friday, February 13, 2015

Red velvet Rice Krispie treat sandwiches

As soon as I saw these, I knew I had to make them for Valentine's Day.  They combine some of my favorite flavors -- all in one!


But, I'm always honest with you guys, so I feel like I need to come clean right away.  These use cake mix.  You know that boxed stuff, where you add eggs, oil, and water, and bake a cake?  Yeah, well thats in these.  But they're so good I decided to turn a blind eye to my boxed cake mix aversion (except for cake balls....I use it for those), and let you in on this tasty little secret!



See, you simply use a little extra butter when melting the marshmallows, and then you add some red velvet cake mix to the mixture before adding the rice krispies.  It's as simple as that!  And then once they're cooled, you cut the slab in half, cover half of it with some sweetened cream cheese, and then cover them with the other half of the Rice Krispie treats.  And then you cut them into squares.  They're really a deliciously sweet treat!

Red Velvet Cake Rice Krispie Treat Sandwiches
From Cookies & Cups
I adapted it ever so slightly (my changes are in italics)

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter (4 Tbsp)
1 10 oz bag of marshmallows (10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows)
1/3 cup dry red velvet cake mix
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (I used 4.5 cups before I couldn't mix them anymore, and I wanted them all to be coated in the gooey red velvet marshmallow mixture...if you can add more, go for it)

1/2 cup butter or cream cheese, room temperature (I used cream cheese)
2 cups powdered sugar

White chocolate chips, for decoration (optional)

Directions:

Line a 10 x 15" jelly roll pan with foil.
Grease lightly with cooking spray.
Set aside.
I used a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray.

In a large sauce pan, melt butter over low heat.
Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
Remove from heat.
I melted the butter in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments until all melted.
Then, add the marshmallows to the bowl and toss to coat.
Microwave until melted.  I usually do mine in 60-90 second increments.

Add in cake mix.
Stir until completely mixed with the marshmallow-butter mixture.
Pour into the prepared pan and press evenly (I use a piece of wax paper with cooking spray).
Let cool.

Make the filling by beating the butter or cream cheese with the powdered sugar (start low and add sugar according to taste -- I liked mine minimally sweet and ended up using about half the sugar).
Whip them really well.  I didn't whip mine as much as I would've liked (I was in a rush), and it makes it hard to see that delicious sweetened cream cheese layer in the center.

Cut the Rice Krispie treat sheet in half, so that you have two equal portions.
Spread filling on one of the halves.
Cover with the other piece of the Rice Krispie treat.
Cut into squares.

I debated drizzling some with melted white chocolate, but last minute decided against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment