Facebook 1

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Mini blueberry scones

I bought some blueberries the other day for a blueberry dessert I'm making over the weekend.  I was good to go.  Delicious, plump, sweet blueberries sitting in my fridge.  You can imagine how long that lasted!?!


They were calling to me, as most fresh fruit always does, but especially in the summer.  They were saying things like "bake with me" and "I'd go great in a scone" and "don't I look delicious?"  Eventually I succumbed, and decided to make some mini fresh blueberry scones with them.  And of course, I snacked on the remaining blueberries that didn't make it into the dough!


I did 2 (well, technically 3) things different from this original recipe.  First off, I left out the orange zest.  Because frankly, I HATE (yes, I know that it's a strong word, and yes, I still want to use it) orange zest.  That's it, I don't have to go into it more.  Secondly, I made them mini.  Because all baked goods are cute in mini.  (And I wanted to try them when they came out of the oven, but it was after 11 p.m. and I frankly didn't need an entire scone.)  Lastly, the original recipe called for tubinado sugar, but I had demerara sugar, so I used that instead.

These were light and crumbly and delicious!  I had to walk out of the kitchen because I kept popping them in my mouth as I cleaned up afterwards.  They're delicious and super easy to make!

Bakery Style Blueberry Scones
From Pinch of Yum

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder (yes, a whole Tablespoon!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tbsp orange zest -- I left this out and I thought that they were still delicious!!
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into very small cubes
1 large egg
1/2 cup cold cream, plus more for brushing the tops of the scones
1 cup fresh blueberries
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling the tops of the scones

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400F.
Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in the bowl of a stand mixer (or just a mixing bowl).
Add orange zest, if using.
Add the butter.
Mix ingredients with an electric mixer until fine crumbs form.

With the mixer on low, add the egg and heavy cream in a slow stream.
Mix until a thick, stuff dough forms.
Add the blueberries and mix until just incorporated -- I used a spatula and folded them in, since I didn't want the blueberries to break in the mixer.  According to the original blog post, "If some of them break, that's okay - you'll get those pretty juice drops down the side.

Flour your hands.
Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place on a floured work surface.
Roll into a rectangle about 1 inch thick --  I just used my hands and flattened the dough into a rectangle.
Cut into 8 triangles, and pull the triangles apart from each other -- Or, do what I did, and use a small biscuit cutter - or a larger one if you want - and cut out smaller scones.
Brush the tops of the scones with some heavy cream.
Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Bake for 18-20 minutes (my mini ones took 9 minutes) or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Sprinkle again with turbinado sugar for extra texture.

Enjoy warm.
Store leftovers (if there are any....) in an airtight container for 1-2 days.

NOTES: Parchment paper helps prevent the scones from burning on the bottom.  For lighter scones, be sure to keep the butter as cold as possible throughout the process.  Stick the dough in the fridge for a few minutes if its getting too warm and soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment