Facebook 1

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Birthday chocolate covered Oreos

It's not a secret that I love to bake.  Especially for my friends.  And even more so when it's for an occasion.  Sometimes they make requests and sometimes they just say I should "bring whatever you want."  But no matter what it is I make, I always find joy in baking something for someone, and then delivering it to them.


So for my friend's birthday, she requested some chocolate covered Oreos.  Oreos are easy enough to coat in chocolate, and I do it all the time with Oreo Pops.  But recently I had bought a cute little chocolate covered Oreo mold with onesies on it (I actually made them for my friend when she told us she was expecting a baby girl), and then soon thereafter I had gone back and bought a plain one and one that said "Happy Birthday" on it (they were supposed to be used to make favors for B's birthday party, but that didn't happen).  I decided to use the molds this time since it is the summer in NYC and I figured that the chances of the chocolate melting would be slimmer because the chocolate is thicker.


I used the plain molds and used two different kinds of chocolate - dark and milk (I ran out of time, but planned to also make some white chocolate ones) - and then needed to choose what I was going to use to decorate them.  I could've left them plain, but what fun is that for a birthday treat?  I could've drizzled them with different colored chocolates, which would be pretty but also, not all that festive.  Rainbow sprinkles would be pretty and festive, but possibly a bit overboard, since I had a bunch of other things with rainbow sprinkles that I was bringing (more on that in later posts).  I ended up by affixing a little sugar decoration on top of each one.

Chocolate Covered Oreos

What you'll need:

Oreos (you can use golden or regular, flavored or plain, and even double stuffed....which is my go-to!)
Chocolate (in whatever variety(ies) you'd like....milk, dark, and/or white chocolate)
Sprinkles, sugar decorations, or melted and slightly cooled chocolate.

What you'll need to do:

Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals to make sure that you don't burn it.
Place 1 Tbsp melted chocolate into each well of the mold.
Shake the mold side-to-side to distribute the chocolate evenly over the bottom of each well.
Bang the mold on the counter once or twice to release the air bubbles.

Place one Oreo in each well on top of the chocolate.
Gently push the Oreo into the chocolate but not too hard that it hits the bottom of the mold.
Gently spoon about 1/2 Tbsp of melted chocolate on top of each Oreo.
Share the mold side-to-side again to distribute the chocolate.
You may need to add more chocolate to cover the Oreo as it will fall down the sides.
Band the mold on the counter once or twice to release the air bubbles.
You may need to add a little more chocolate if there are lots of air bubbles and the chocolate level falls again.

Place molds into the fridge and allow them to harden, mine take about 3- minutes, but I leave them in for an hour just to make sure.

Remove the mold from the fridge.
Invert the mold and remove each of the chocolate-covered Oreos.

Decorate them to your liking.
Use a little melted chocolate to adhere sprinkles or sugar decorations, or drizzle melted chocolate over the Oreos.

When done, place back in the fridge until serving.

I chose to place mine in individual plastic bags and tie them with festive ribbon for my friend's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment