Facebook 1

Sunday, July 6, 2014

"Strawberry shortcake" cupcakes

The first thing you might wonder in seeing this post is why is strawberry shortcake in quotes?  Well because these aren't really strawberry shortcake cupcakes, but rather cupcakes based loosely on the idea of strawberry shortcake.  See I started off with my Fluffernutter Cupcakes.  Then I made the PB&J Cupcakes.  I was kinda on a roll when it came to filling cupcakes, and creating them, if I do say so myself.  So I had filled my PB&J cupcakes with strawberry jelly, and as I was looking at them I started thinking about what else might be good to top them with.  Then I took out the cream to make the icing and it clicked: whipped cream!  But then I thought that that's not really strawberry shortcake-like, with strawberry jam, and decided to fill the craters of my cupcakes with diced fresh strawberries and top them with some homemade slightly sweetened whipped cream and a few more pieces of fresh strawberry.


Then, I realized that it was July 4th this weekend, and figured that these would be perfectly patriotic!  I even debated making a blueberry whipped cream to top them, but decided that the strawberry-whipped cream combo didn't need anything added to it, and stuck with the plain whipped cream topping.  And I even dug up some July 4th cupcake liners for the occasion!


Confession: I love strawberry shortcake!  I mean honestly, what's not to love about fresh sweet juicy strawberries and light fluffy mildly sweet whipped cream?  I don't even eat the "shortcake" part, because the other two are so much better.  So I decided to use my go-to yellow cake cupcake recipe, because it's light and mildly flavored and I thought it would go deliciously well with the strawberries and whipped cream!

"Strawberry Shortcake" Cupcakes
Cupcake idea by yours truly, each component listed with it's source

Yellow Cake Cupcakes
From SmittenKitchen (and featured on the blog herehere, and here -- to name a few)

Ingredients:

4 cups plus 2 Tbsp cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups buttermilk, well-shaken

Fresh strawberries, diced small
Blueberries or sliced strawberries for decoration (I only suggest blueberries if you're planning to make these for July 4th.  The blueberries with the white of the whipped cream and the red of the strawberries is very patriotic.)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Line a cupcake tin with liners.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy.
Beat in vanilla.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each addition. 
At low speed, beat in buttermilk until just combined (mixture will look curdled).
Add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until each addition is just incorporated.

Fill the baking cups about 2/3 of the way full.
Bang the pan against the counter a few time to let out air bubbles.
Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 15 minutes.

Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.

Whipped Cream Icing

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh cream
Powdered sugar, to taste.

Directions:

In a bowl, whip the cream on high with an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form.
Add in powdered sugar to taste and whip until stiff peaks form.
Add whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with the tip of your choice.

Assembly

Once completely cooled, cut a small crater in the center of each cupcake with a small paring knife or very carefully with a melon baller (these cupcakes are very fragile).
Gently spoon diced strawberries (about 1-1.5 teaspoons) into the newly cut hole in the center.  

Using the piping tip of your choice (I used a star tip), pipe whipped cream onto filled cupcakes. 
Top with a slice of strawberry (or cherries or blueberries for a patriotic twist). 
Keep cupcakes in the fridge until just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment