Facebook 1

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Triple chocolate cookies

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted....I apologize for the lag, but I will more than make up for it soon.

My friend started a non-profit animal rescue and about two weeks ago was one of their fundraisers.  They had a bake sale at the event, and I was honored when he asked me to bake some treats for the event.  I was trying to decide what to bake for the event - it needed to be something hand-held and portable, so that people could walk around during the event eating said treats, but also portable in the sense that I had to get it to the event and that involved a big detour all the way uptown before going downtown to bring the treats.  I thought about mini cupcakes, but lets face it, I've made a ton of those lately.  It was down to cookies and brownies.  Unable to decide, I chose both.  And why stop at one kind of cookie?  So I opted for a few.


When I made those (totally awesome) chewy chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips last month, my friend saw them and asked "Wow - those look fantastic - Can ya make them on the 23rd?"  So that was the first type of cookie that I made.

Then I decided to make "giant double chocolate cookies" except I made smaller triple chocolate cookies.  Because if double chocolate is good, triple chocolate is better.  No, I'm not making that up.  I'm sure someone has proven it in the past.

All three cookies that I made packaged as a gift

Giant Double Triple Chocolate Cookies
Modified from the recipe for Giant Double Chocolate Cookies, which is based on the amazing cookies from Levain Bakery in New York City
The recipe states that it makes 12 very large cookies.  I got a ton of small-medium sized ones.

Ingredients:

1 cup (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips and 1 cup of milk chocolate chips.  I actually had dark chocolate chips, too, but decided that the world might not yet be ready for quadruple chocolate cookies....)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Blend in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.

Mix in the cocoa powder until well blended.
Add the flour, salt and baking powder to the bowl and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead briefly by hand to be sure the ingredients are well combined.

Divide the dough into 4 ounce portions (or divide into 12 equal pieces - I made them much smaller).  Roll each portion of dough into a ball and flatten just slightly into a disc.
Place on the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart. Bake 16-20 minutes (less for smaller cookies).
Let cool on the baking sheets 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment