Facebook 1

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles

OccasionallySometimes.  Often when I bake, I don't have an occasion that I'm baking for.  Last night was yet another example of that.  Yesterday I came across a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles, but this particular recipe called for an egg-less cookie dough.  While I am not opposed to eating raw cookie dough (raw eggs and all!), I don't know that serving it to others is a good idea.  Nor do I think making them ahead of time and letting them sit (in the fridge) with raw eggs is a good idea, either.  So this recipe appealed to me.  The fact that it did not involve baking was also another drawing point, since my apartment is already pretty hot and turning on the oven would just exacerbate it.


Then I went searching for wooden popsicle sticks, since the recipe I found had served them on popsicle sticks.  You would not believe how hard it is to find wooden popsicle sticks on the Upper West Side of Manhattan!  Bed, Bath, and Beyond didn't carry them.  Nor did the several grocery stores or drug stores that I went to.  Luckily for me, working in a doctor's office finally has it's perks...and I settled for tongue depressors cut in half lengthwise.
What is better than balls of homemade cookie dough, you might ask?  When said cookie dough is then dipped into chocolate, allowed to harden, and a truffle is formed!  However, while these might just be the best summer dessert to make (no oven/baking), I doubt they're the best summer dessert to eat, since the dough and chocolate would get soft and runny if left out in the heat too long.  Best bet is to keep them in the fridge and then remove them a few minutes before serving.



Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
chocolate coating
popsicle sticks, cut in half (or you could use tongue depressors....I know, it sounds weird)

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
Mix in milk and vanilla.
Add flour and salt and mix on low until combined.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Chill dough in refrigerator for about 30 minutes until firm enough to roll or scoop into 1-inch balls.
Place rolled balls on a wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. (I kept mine in the fridge overnight and they seemed to be fine when dipping them)
Melt candy coating following instructions on the package. Remove a couple of balls from the freezer (or fridge) at a time and insert the cut stick into the ball. Dip in candy coating and let any extra coating fall off back into the bowl.
Add small sprinkles (or mini chocolate chips, or none of the above) on top and place on wax paper to set.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.

*If you check out the link above, you'll see the cutest little chocolate squares that she used.  I WANT those squares, but alas, I don't have them, so if you don't either, you can use mini chocolate chips on a few or just leave them "naked"*

No comments:

Post a Comment