Facebook 1

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mini blueberry muffins

I signed up for my first 5K this weekend.  I'm part of a team, and we're meeting before the race (and I use the term "race" loosely, as it's more of a walk/run, where I'll be doing the former), getting our team t-shirts, and heading over together.  Since the meeting time is scheduled for 8:45 a.m., I decided I'd be "team mom" (really the only title I'll ever hold on an athletic team, since I lack any athletic ability) and bake some homemade (mini) muffins.


I have to admit, I've been making this blueberry muffin recipe for years.  It originally had the title of "To Die For Blueberry Muffins," but I copied it and never wrote down where I got it from, so I can't give the proper person credit for the muffin recipe.  It is so simple that anyone can make them, and it only takes 1 bowl (for the muffins, a second bowl for the crumb topping) - and I literally mix it with a fork.  No fancy mixers needed!  (This also happens to be THE recipe that I bring to bridal showers when I get asked to bring a recipe card for the bride-to-be.)

To Die For Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:

Muffins:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (you might need a little more....see below)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries (in a bind and can't find fresh blueberries?  Frozen work well, too...I used frozen in this batch)

Crumb topping:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed (and softened ever so slightly - it makes it easier to mush to make the crumbs)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F.  Grease or line muffin cups (I think the recipe makes 8-12 full sized muffins, however I made mini ones today and got 40.  Yes, I have 40 mini blueberry muffins in my kitchen right now).

2. Combine dry ingredients for muffins.  Place oil into a 1-cup measuring cup and add the egg.  Add enough milk to fill the cup.  The original recipe forgets to tell you to add the vanilla.  I put it into the measuring cup after I've added the milk, and add all the wet ingredients together.

3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

4. Fold in the blueberries.

5. Fill muffin cups right to the top (I didn't fill the mini muffin cups completely....I honestly don't remember what I do when I make them full-sized, since it has been a while).

6. Make the crumb topping: mix together all the ingredients for the crumb topping, mixing it with a fork to break up the butter cubes.

7. Sprinkle the muffins with the crumb topping.

8. Bake for 20-25 minutes (for full-sized, 10 minutes for mini), or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment