Facebook 1

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chocolate cake with mocha buttercream

Today is my grandfather's 85th birthday!  It should come as no surprise to you that I offered to bake a cake for the occasion. 

Earlier this year, in June, I baked a cake for my grandparent's 60th anniversary.  When talking to my mother and aunts about what to bake for that amazing milestone, I was told one thing: chocolate.  Well, maybe it was two things (since the day of the anniversary party was also my aunt & uncle's anniversary): chocolate and carrot cake.  See, I have an amazing recipe for chocolate cake (at that party in June it was filled with whipped chocolate ganache and an icing that I was not quite blown away by, and therefore prefer to never make again) and another one for carrot cake.  They also happen to be the two recipes that I don't share; they are my secrets...

However, when it came time to decide what to make for my grandfather's birthday, that one thing came to mind again: chocolate.

This time, I went back to the original.  The recipe I had gotten from a cooking class I took years ago, tweaked with a few of my own touches, with the original icing -- homemade mocha buttercream.  Now, admittedly, I am not a huge fan of buttercream, but this homemade stuff is delicious.  Once the cake is iced, I lick the spoon.  And then the spatula.  And then the whisk....well, you get the picture.  It's just chocolate-y and coffee-y enough to give the flavor without overwhelming.

A few icing stars with mocha chocolate beans on top, and the cake is done!
Happy 85th Birthday, Poppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment