Facebook 1

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Daiquiri (rum and lime) bundt cake

I wanted to make some Cinco de Mayo-themed cupcakes, but after a long stressful day of work a week before Cinco de Mayo, it was too soon to bake them.  So in keeping with the theme, I decided I'd make a cake beforehand, and save the actual cupcakes to serve on May 5th (stay tuned for that in about a week :)).


I had the great idea (if I do say so myself) to make a margarita bundt cake.  I thought it would be pretty tasty.  I even stopped by the grocery store and picked up some limes (there's a lime shortage, and I wanted to make sure I was able to grab some.  Did you know about the lime shortage?  It's been in the news.  You can read about it here and here).  Only problem?  I had no tequila in my apartment!  But I did have some rum, so my margarita cake became daiquiri cake (I would've made it a mojito cake except I didn't have any mint).



But when I got to baking the cake, I had another problem....I only had 3 eggs!  But, amazingly, 3 eggs was exactly half of the eggs that I needed for the recipe.  So I halved the recipe, which might explain why my bundt cake doesn't look as tall as you'd imagine given the amounts of the ingredients listed below.

Daiquiri Cake
Based loosely on this Key Lime Pound (Bundt) Cake Recipe and the glaze adapted from this recipe

Ingredients:
(these amounts are for the original recipe, the cake I made halved the ingredients)

For the cake:

1 1/2 cups of butter (3 sticks), softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups of flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk)
1/2 cup rum (or if you wanted to make a margarita cake, tequila)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lime zest (I added way more than that....I wanted the lime zest flecks to show up in the cake, but even with all that I added, that really didn't end up happening)
1/4 cup lime juice

For the glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 Tbsp rum
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
lime zest (I zested a lime and used about 2/3 of the zest in the glaze)

Additional lime zest to sprinkle on top.

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325F.
Grease and flour a 10-inch/12-cup bundt pan (or use Pam for baking, like I did).

Beat butter until creamy.
Gradually add sugar, beating at medium until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Mix the rum and buttermilk in a 1 cup measuring cup.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk-rum mixture, beginning and ending with the dry mixture (I did dry, liquid, dry, liquid, dry).
Beat on low speed just until blended after each addition.
Stir in vanilla, lime zest, and lime juice.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake at 325F for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a long wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
Remove the cake from the pan and place it on the wire rack.

Make the glazw.
Whisk together the powdered sugar, lime juice, rum, and vanilla.
Add in lime zest.

Place a piece of foil or wax paper on the counter underneath the wire rack beneath the cake (the glaze will drip).
Immediately brush the glaze over the top and sides of the cake.
I sprinkled mine with a little bit of lime zest.

Allow to cool completely (about 1 hour).

No comments:

Post a Comment