Facebook 1

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Grapefruit yogurt cake

I have a new coworker -- she started less than 2 months ago.  The other day we were standing in the kitchen chatting (really, I was showing off a picture of the chocolate lollipops that are going to be up in a few days), and she had recommended a recipe to me.  She had made a grapefruit yogurt cake from Smitten Kitchen that she said was really good.  So, since I changed my mind and decided not to bring home the New York style crumb cake (turns out my grandmother made my great grandmother's coffee cake) for the break fast, I made the grapefruit yogurt cake instead!


 
 

I over-reduced the grapefruit juice-granulated sugar mixture, so I added a little extra juice.  And I added the glaze before the cake was completely cooled because, well, it was late and I needed to go to bed.  How's that for honesty?  Oh, and since the glaze was a little thin (most likely because the cake was still warm), I scooped up some of the run-off and "reglazed" the cake.

Grapefruit Yogurt Cake
From Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (I used fat free Greek yogurt)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 extra-large eggs
1 tablespoon grated grapefruit zest (approximately one large grapefruit)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice

For the glaze:

1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
Line the bottom with parchment paper.
Grease and flour the pan.  Oops....Missed that part.  Mine needed a quick run of the knife around the edges and it popped right out of the pan -- and the parchment paper didn't even stick to the bottom of the cake.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, grapefruit zest, and vanilla.
Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup grapefruit juice and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear.
Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Although it didn't say so, I assumed that this was the point at which to remove the cake.
Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
While the cake is still warm, pour the grapefruit-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.
Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and grapefruit juice and pour over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment