Facebook 1

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Chewy apple oatmeal cookies

Apples are synonymous with fall, at least in my opinion.  Apple picking (which I haven't done in a while and am dying to go).  Apple cider.  Apple cookies.  Fall. 


Although you can't tell based on the weather in New York City today (it was a perfect 78 degrees), fall is right around the corner (3 days, to be exact).  So it seemed only fitting that on my day off today, I would bake something with apples.  I actually had two things in mind, but I needed apple cider for the other recipe, and I couldn't find it at two grocery stores (I know a grocery store that would have it, but it's a little far away....so I'll save that recipe for tomorrow).

It's probably not a surprise to you all that I love oatmeal raisin cookies (I do!), so I was excited to try this recipe.  I (not so shockingly) made them smaller than the recipe called for, so I stopped counting after the first 40 cookies, with a few more batches baked afterwards.  They're pretty awesome! 



I even think I have some of those awesome cinnamon chips in the cabinet, and those might make these cookies even more often (not that they need to be made better!).

Chewy Apple Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown packed brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I accidentally used a little more)
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped dried apples

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix well.
Stir in oats and apples.
 
Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 in. (I used my cookie scooper and mine were smaller) apart onto ungreased baking sheets (I used parchment paper).
Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown (since mine were smaller, 7-8 minutes was enough).
Let stand for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment