Facebook 1

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Peanut butter multigrain Cheerio treats

About a month ago, I went to Target for something (I don't recall what it was), but I do recall leaving there with several boxes of cereal.  I don't know why, considering I live alone and very rarely eat cereal for breakfast, but there were so many options and I couldn't decide on just one.

Earlier in the week I made those delicious rice krispie treats with Oreos, and then I started thinking...why not make gooey marshmallow treats with other cereals?  Out of the options I had, I narrowed it down to 2 choices: peanut butter multigrain Cheerios and dulce de leche Cheerios.  Assuming that the dulce de leche ones were going to be too sweet, I went with the peanut butter ones.  I threw in a few unmelted mini marshmallows and a few mini chocolate chips, and voilà, new tasty treat!  I like the subtle taste of the peanut butter and the marshmallows together.  I don't think the chocolate chips added much in terms of flavor, so I'd leave them out next time.  I might add some peanut butter chips, though.



Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerio Treats

3 cups Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios (or any other variety of Cheerios you think would taste good)
3 cups mini marshmallows, 1/4 cup set aside
1.5 tablespoons of unsalted butter
Nonstick cooking spray

(I made this recipe in a roughly 8.5 x 6 inch pan.  Doubling the recipe should work well for a 9 x 13 inch pan).

Spray a spatula and pan with nonstick spray, set aside.

Melt butter and marshmallows in a large microwave safe bowl, for about 3 minutes.  The marshmallows expand a lot, so use a large bowl.

Mix in the dry cereal and reserved 1/4 cup of marshmallows.

Pour into prepared pan, and let cool. 

Cut into pieces and serve.  Store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment