Facebook 1

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Toffee and chocolate chip cookies

When I set out to make holiday treats for my doormen, my original goal had been to make them a box of cookies and maybe some cranberry bliss bars (I really do love them and they're very festive).  But then I started making fudge, and peppermint bark, and marshmallows, and brownies, and chocolate crunch, and then I only had one kind of cookie (two, if you consider meringues a cookie) for my doormen!



So this morning I went searching for a quick cookie recipe.  I thought I had a chocolate chip-potato chip-pecan cookie recipe somewhere, but of course when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it anywhere (not to self, find it or create one!).  So I ended up finding this chocolate chip cookie recipe, and it was perfect for what I needed -- quick, and I had (almost) all the ingredients on hand!





Now this recipe claims it is the "best EVER chocolate chip cookie" -- and so I decided to check it out.  Now to be completely fair, I doctored the recipe a little by adding milk chocolate toffee bits with the chocolate chips, since I only had a cup of chocolate chips in the apartment and it's Christmas Day and the stores are all closed, but it was a very good cookie!  And I thought the whole "no chilling the dough" part was especially awesome...especially because I was waiting all night last night for the marshmallows to set.  I don't do very well with delaying gratification...especially when it comes to sampling the things I make.




The Best EVER Chocolate Chip Cookie
Slightly adapted by yours truly to be Fantastic Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups (12 oz) all-purpose flour *If at all possible, please weigh the flour (I didn't weigh it)
3/4 tsp. smallish-medium coarse sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips -- I subbed 1 1/4 cups of Heath toffee and milk chocolate bits and 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, simply because I didn't have enough chocolate chips in the apartment.  I was happy with the tasty results :)
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
 
Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until it is nice and fluffy.
Add both eggs and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour until cookie batter is fully incorporated.
Finally add chocolate chips and toffee bits until well distributed.
The cookie batter should be somewhat thick.
 
Drop about 2 tablespoons of dough or use a medium cookie scoop and plop the batter onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  I used my mini scoop and cut down on the baking time.
Bake for 12-14 minutes (mine took about 6 minutes) until the edges are nice and golden brown.
 
Remove from heat and allow the cookies to stay on the cookie sheet for an additional 2 minutes.
Pick up the parchment paper with the cookies still on top and transfer to a cool non-porous surface.
 
Allow the cookies to cool on the paper for at least 3 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment