Facebook 1

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Sriracha Chex mix

I promised myself yesterday that I wouldn't bake anything between Christmas and New Years, with the exception of my New Year's Eve dessert.  See, I had a TON of leftovers all over the apartment, and even after tossing some, I had a lot remaining.  Plus, in 16 days I'll be off to Miami for a long weekend, and I have to be in a <<gasp!!>> bathing suit.  So clearly, the fewer desserts and treats I had around the apartment, the better it would be.


Then last night I saw a recipe for Sriracha Chex Mix.  I figured that it would be a great snack or appetizer for New Year's Eve.  I also mused it would be a great edible gift for people who like spicy, but that's kinda a moot point since the holidays are over and I don't really have any edible gifts I need to give (except maybe at a "friendsmas" get together this weekend).  But you know me -- and how I hate to bring foods places when I haven't tested them out before -- and I needed to demo the recipe first.  A quick trip to Target (and then grocery store for fresh ginger and garlic) later, and I was ready to check out the recipe.



And yes, I know that Chex Mix is technically not baking, but since I used the oven to make it, I decided to include it on the blog.  Because, frankly, if I have a great recipe, why not share it with you?  And, it gets baked in the oven ;-)

Sriracha Chex Mix

Ingredients:

3 cups corn Chex*
3 cups rice Chex*
1 cup pretzels
1 cup wasabi peas (I got hot, since that's what they had)
1 cup peanuts
1 cup crunchy chow mein noodles
1/4 butter (I used salted)
1/4 cup Sriracha
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon grated garlic

* I thought about using wheat chex, too, but decided I'd try the recipe out as is the first time.  I think 6 cups of Chex in any permutation of wheat, corn, and rice Chex would work.

Directions:

Mix all the solid ingredients together.
                      
Mix all the liquid ingredients together. 
Grate the ginger and garlic in. 
Microwave to melt butter and warm the mixture.
Pour the sauce over the cereal mixture and toss to evenly coat.                           
Bake at 250 for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so until crunchy and flavorful.                        

No comments:

Post a Comment