Facebook 1

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Rice Krispie treats with sprinkles

About two weeks ago, I made some Rice Krispie Treats.  I even mentioned them on the Facebook page.  So why has it taken me so long to post about them?  I was embarassed...and ashamed.  See, I ate about half the tray of Rice Krispie Treats myself that first day.  The following day I made an even bigger dent.  Then, I took pictures of them for the blog, and tossed the remaining ones.


See, I have this problem with homemade Rice Krispie Treats....They're addictive!!  I just cannot walk away from them.  They're gooey, and sweet-but-not-too-sweet, and perfectly crunchy....and these even had a bunch of sprinkles on them!  I decided to cut these into long rectangles instead of the usual squares, since I thought it was a fun shape.



Enough about that, though....I'm starting to feel guilty again about eating all those Rice Krispie Treats....and yet part of me is thinking "I have leftover Rice Krispies, and I have butter and marshmallows....maybe I'll make another batch."  But I'm walking away from that latter thought....but I'm leaving you with these for now.

Rice Krispie Treats with Sprinkles
* My goal had been to have an entire sprinkle "crust" on top of the Rice Krispie Treats, but I decided that it might be too much, and instead decided last minute for a heavy sprinkling on top *
(adapted from the Jet Puffed bag)

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 bag of large marshmallows
4 cups of Rice Krispies


2 big handfuls of rainbow sprinkles, maybe more as needed

Directions:

Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.  My preference is Pam, but you could also brush it with some melted butter.

Microwave the butter in a microwavable bowl on high until melted (about 45 seconds).
Add marshmallows and toss to coat.
Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after 45 seconds.  I recommend using a nonstick spatula or a spatula sprayed with Pam.

Add the cereal immediately, and mix well.
Press into the greased pan.  My go-to way to do it easily is to spray a piece of wax paper with Pam, and use that (Pam-side down) to press it evenly into the pan.

Once flat, add the sprinkles on top, distributing them evenly across the top of the Rice Krispie treatsAllow to cool completely.

Cut into rectangles/sticks.
* I find the prettiest way to cut them is to invert them out of the pan with the sprinkle side down, so that when you cut them, you don't track the colors from the sprinkles along the cut sides of the treats
Serve.....if you don't eat them all before the guests arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment