Facebook 1

Friday, March 14, 2014

The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book

In honor of today being pi day (it's March 14, or 3.14), I figured I'd review my new pie cookbook, because frankly I don't have enough time today to bake a pie!

Honestly, pie isn't my first (or second, or third...) choice when it comes to dessert.  But upon the recommendation of my friend L, I picked up this book because she said the pies were awesome -- but more importantly they had a really great and easy pie crust.  Well, I was sold, considering I have been buying frozen pie crust for all of my pie-baking endeavors that do not require a graham cracker crust!

Enter one of the 3 new cookbooks to my ever-growing collection: The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book!


Some of the recipes in the book are classic pie recipes, like Derby pie and sour cherry pie.  Some are slightly altered versions of oldies but goodies, with about 5 varieties of pies with apples in them!

Other are newer, fresher, more creative pies, like wild ginger strawberry pie (I can't wait for spring to make this one!!), nectarine blueberry pie, salted caramel apple pie (L made this one for Thanksgiving and I was drooling as she was telling me about it!), and cinnamon apricot pie with vanilla pouring cream, just to name a few.  Mmmmmm!

And get this -- there isn't one pie crust recipe, but 10 crust recipes, including an all butter crust, a chocolate all butter crust, lard & butter crust, and an animal cracker crust!!

And the pictures, oh the pictures!  The pies look heavenly, and there's even a picture of what raw freshly made pie crust is supposed to look like.  Remember that time you made a homemade pie crust and it looked like all the butter wasn't mixed in?  Well, turns out it's supposed to look like that!  According to this book, "the dough should be marbelized with streak of butter."  Who knew!   And as an added bonus, there are illustrations on how to weave a pie crust, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment