Facebook 1

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Burger fake-out

I don't like hamburgers.  There, I said it.  I have nothing against meat, but I just don't like burgers.  Also on the foods-I-don't-like list: ketchup.  Ketchup is actually number one on the list.  However, when I saw these "burgers" in Martha Stewart Living, I had to check them out on the blog that the magazine mentioned.  I will admit, I had grand plans for these burgers, but I ran out of time, so I just adorned them with icing "ketchup."  My original plan included fondant "cheese," dyed green coconut "lettuce," and some icing "mustard."

My original goal was to make them as sliders - mini burgers - because of my penchant for all things mini.  I started out with homemade brownies and sugar cookies, but ended up making some with (gasp!) store-bought sugar cookie dough for the sake of saving time.  I have to admit, the homemade sugar cookies looked more like "buns" to me than the store-bought cookie dough, which seemed to have flattened out a lot when they baked.  Also, the store bought cookies spread out too much so it made making sliders difficult.

I went with Martha Stewart's sugar cookie recipe and the brownies I've been making recently.  I dyed store-bought icing (cream cheese, since thats what I had in the fridge, left over from my cake pop experiment recently) red for the "ketchup" - which is the closest I'm ever going to get to ketchup.



No comments:

Post a Comment