Facebook 1

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Cranberry orange scones

The fourth variety of scones that I made for L's baby shower were these cranberry orange scones.

These cranberry orange scones are in the center.

I know I've said it before, but i'll say it again: I don't love orange zest in baked goods.  But something about this recipe -- and the fact that people seem to love the orange and cranberry combination -- made me want to make these for the shower.  I have to admit, though, that these were pretty darn good (and that's coming from the orange zest hater)!  And easy to make, too.


Just beware -- this recipe makes a TON of scones!  And I made mine without the glaze, but included it for you in case you prefer glazed scones.


Ina Garten's Cranberry Orange Scones

Ingredients:

4 cups plus 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
(I used Turbinado sugar for sprinkling, and only used 1/4 cup of granulated sugar)
2 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp orange zest
3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten (I didn't see the "extra" part of that until I copied the recipe NOW, 2 weeks later, but I used large eggs and they were fine)
1 cup cold cream
1 cup dried cranberries

1 egg beaten with 2 Tbsp water or milk, for egg wash (I left this off until I took them out of the freezer to bake them)
Turbinado sugar
1/2 cup confectioners sugar, plus 2 Tbsp
4 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 4 cups of flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest.
Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest sped until the butter is the size of peas.
Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on the low speed, slowly pour it into the flour mixture.
Mix until just blended.  The dough with look lumpy!
Combine the dried cranberries with 1/4 cup of flour.
Add to the dough.
Mix on low speed until blended.

Dump the dough onto a well floured surface and knead it into a ball.
Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4 inch thick.  I prefer to do this between 2 pieces of floured wax or parchment paper.
You should see small bits of flour in the dough.  Keep moving the dough so that it doesn't stick.

Flour a 3 inch round plain or fluted cutter and cut circles of dough.  I used a slightly smaller cutter, maybe 2 or 2.5 inches.
I once learned a trick that says you're supposed to just push the cutter into the scone and remove it, and NOT to twist the cutter, since it makes the scones not rise as well....so I'm passing that tip along to you.

Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Collect the scraps neatly.
Roll out the scraps.
Cut more circles.
I froze mine here.

(If you freeze your scones, remove them from the freezer to bake them.  There is no need to defrost them, as I baked mine when they were still frozen and have baking times listed below.)
Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash.
Sprinkle with (Turbinado) sugar.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Out of the freezer, ,my (slightly smaller) scones took 18 minutes to bake.
Tops should be browned and the insides fully baked; the scones will feel firm to the touch.

Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes.

If using the glaze, make the glaze:
Whisk together the confectioners sugar and orange juice.
Drizzle over the scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment