Facebook 1

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chocolate chunk and caramel brownie cups

I have a bunch of friends who are super athletic and do crazy things (in my opinion) like running the NYC Marathon!  A bunch of us are going out on Sunday to cheer one of my friends on, and then afterwards are going to her in-laws apartment where they are hosting a little celebratory get-together for my friend.  And you know me, I never like to show up empty handed!

 
I wasn't sure what to make, but I knew it couldn't be delicate or too bulky, since I'd be walking around the city carrying the dessert.  After a few different ideas, I decided on brownies.  But after a bit of deliberation, I decided to make the brownies in cupcake wrappers.  Easy transport....and easy eating!

 
I had a crazy day at work on Friday and ended up leaving over an hour and a half late (!!!).  I got home with little turnaround time before I had to go meet B in the East Village.  Enter the one bowl brownie!

 
I had all the ingredients in my apartment except for the toffee chips.  So instead I substituted caramel pieces (Kraft Caramel Bits, to be exact) for the toffee.  I baked them in cupcake wrappers sprayed with a little Pam.  I made full sized brownie "cupcakes" and got 24.  I also cut down the baking time to 20 minutes.

*Disclosure: I ended up not bringing the brownies to the get together, but I did bring them to trivia the next night, and they were well received!

from Picky Palate

Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups chocolate chunks
8 ounce bag milk chocolate toffee chips  I substituted Kraft Caramel Bits instead

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Line an 8x8 inch baking dish with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  I used cupcake papers, but made sure to spray them with Pam.

Place butter into a large mixing bowl and microwave until melted and hot.
Pour in chocolate chips and stir until mostly melted.  It is OK if it's not perfectly smooth.
Add flour, salt, and sugars.
Mix a few times then add egg yolks and eggs and oil.
Mix until well combined, then add chocolate chunks and toffee chips caramel bits.

Transfer batter to prepared dish, spreading evenly.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through.  I baked my cupcake brownies for 20 minutes.
Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment