Facebook 1

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

L&A's kosher for Passover mandel bread

I have to be honest with you.  I don't really like Passover food (well, I guess that's a technicality; I just really miss the foods I can't have during Passover).  But particularly, I don't like the desserts.  I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder, since I don't usually go for desserts, but I always find myself wanting one during Passover.  Maybe it's the lack of other carbs in my life?  But I just find that most Passover desserts are not really good on their own, they're more a sad substitution for real desserts.


This recipe, however, is different!  Mandel bread - for those of you who don't know - is, for all intents and purposes, Jewish biscotti.  My friend L sent me this recipe last year (I'm sure I was lamenting on Facebook about how there are no good Passover desserts for me to make, and she commented and then sent me this recipe in response to my plea for good Passover baked goods).  I believe it's her husband A's family's recipe, but I could be mixing up stories.  All I do know is that it is heavenly.  And, unlike any other Passover food known to man, I actually found myself finishing the mandel bread after Passover had ended!

L & A's Kosher for Passover Mandel Bread

2 3/4 c. matza cake meal
1/2 lb. butter
2 c. sugar
6 eggs
3/4 c. potato starch
1/2 tsp. salt
6 oz. passover chocolate, or chips and/or nuts (I leave the nuts out as I have a nut-allergic cousin and if it is nut-free, it is one of the few Passover desserts she can have as most Passover desserts are made with nuts)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream the butter and sugar
Add the eggs one at a time, beat until smooth.
Sift the cake meal, potatoe starch, and salt.
Fold the dry mixture into the egg mixture.
Mix thoroughly.
Add the chocolate, and chopped nuts (if using)
Form into 3 or 4 loaves on a greased baking sheet (I used parchment paper-lined sheets and they work just fine), about 3 inches wide.
Top with the mixture of 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
Bake 40-45 minutes
When mostly cooled but still a little warm, slice into 1-1.5" slices

No comments:

Post a Comment