Facebook 1

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Coffee syrup

I missed National Coffee Day.  I'm not proud to admit it, but I feel the need to come clean.  In an attempt to make up for it, I made some espresso brownies two days later.  I had intended to make them for national coffee day, but time got away from me.  I also planned to make this coffee syrup.  Seems simple enough -- coffee syrup.  I thought it would be good on ice cream (which I've never made, but would love to try)...or anything for that matter!


The recipe is easy: two ingredients, in equal parts.  So you can modify it as you want.  The original calls for 4 cups, but I went down to 3.  Easy peasy!  And the best part?  It's super tasty!  Plus, it stays for days, in case you're wondering "what on earth am I going to do with four cups of coffee syrup?!" (Don't worry, it does cook down.) The possibilities really are endless!

Coffee Syrup
Found on the KitchenAid Blog

Ingredients:

4 cups brewed coffee
4 cups sugar

(Just remember, it's a 1:1 ratio, so you can adjust easily.  I went with 3 cups coffee to 3 cups sugar, since I had under 4 cups of coffee when I brewed it.  It yielded about 2 3/4 cups of syrup.)

Directions:

Combine the coffee and sugar in a sauce pan.
Bring to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and moderately boil for about 1 hour, or until your preferred thickness.  (Syrup will thicken as it cools.  You can test the final thickness of the syrup while it is still hot by placing some on a metal spoon and chilling in the freezer for a minute or two, until the underside of the spoon is no longer warm.  Test the consistency and if needed continue boiling and testing every 5-10 minutes.)

When the syrup is at your desired consistency, allow the syrup to cool completely and then store in the fridge.
The colder the syrup, the thicker the consistency, so if you want to use it the same day, chill it for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment