Facebook 1

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Extra marshmallow-y Rice Krispie Treats

I've been on a mission to make a super marshmallow-y Rice Krispie Treat.  A few months ago, I attempted some, and they were good and marshmallow-y, but not as marshmallow-y as I had wanted.  I had heard about these super delicious Rice Krispie treats from this place called the Crispery, and when I saw a picture, I knew that that was what I wanted my super marshmallow-y Rice Krispie Treats to be like.  So I went back to the drawing board.


What I ended up doing might be considered a bit weird, but it's what I thought would make the most perfect super-duper extra marshmallow-y but still crispy Rice Krispie Treats. I made homemade marshmallow, and then when it was just freshly beaten, I added Rice Krispies.  Lots of them (about 8 cups).  I folded them in by hand.  Then, I poured them into the pan, filled it to the tippy-top (not my intention, but who would complain if they were served a 3" high Rice Krispie Treat), and smoothed them out.  Then I waited....and waited....and waited (this is the one place where these Rice Krispie Treats do not trump the good old fashioned ones -- those are ready immediately for consumption) for them to set.  And then I waited a little more*...


But, let me tell you.  They were worth the wait!!

*why, you may ask, did I wait a little more?  Because the homemade marshmallow is more moist than melted marshmallows, the Rice Krispies were a little soggy as soon as they set up.  No worries, waiting a little longer for them to dry a little, made them TOTALLY worth the wait!!

Extra Marshamallow-y Rice Krispie Treats
I used my plain vanilla marshmallow recipe for these

Ingredients:

1 cup water, divided
3 Tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. unflavored powdered gelatin (3 envelopes – envelope is 1/4 oz. each, for 3/4 oz. total)
2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. fine salt
2 Tbsp. pure vanilla or vanilla bean paste -- I might cut this down a little bit, maybe 1.5 Tbsp, if eating them plain.  If you're coating them with the coconut, I'd do either 1.5 or 2 Tbsp.

8 cups Rice Krispies cereal (you might need a little more)

Directions:

Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with baking spray.

In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, pour in 1/2 cup of the water and sprinkle the gelatin over.
Let stand.

In a medium saucepan over high heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, salt and the remaining 1/2 cup of water.
Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil.
Stop stirring and once mixture comes to a rolling boil, continue boiling for 1 minute.
Remove from the heat and pout into 2-cup glass measuring cup
The mixture is very, very, very hot.  Be extremely careful!

Turn the mixer to low and mix the gelatin a bit to loosen.
Very slowly and carefully add the hot sugar mixture by pouring it gently down the side of the bowl.
Continue to mix on low until all the sugar mixture is added.

Turn the mixer to high and whip the mixture for 10 to 12 minutes until the marshmallow batter almost triples in size and becomes very thick.
If you have a smaller mixer bowl, you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently to avoid the batter overflowing as it grows.
Stop the mixer, add the vanilla, and then whip briefly to combine.  When I added the vanilla, mine thinned out a bit.  Just an FYI.

Working quickly, fold in the Rice Krispies into the marshmallow mixture, 1-2 cups at a time.
Be sure that you get all the marshmallow at the bottom of the bowl.
If your mixer bowl is small, you may have to remove some of the coated Rice Krispies and put them in the pan, then add some more Rice Krispies in batches to the remaining (mostly marshmallow but some remaining Rice Krispie) mixture.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan (a silicone bowl scraper works like a charm for this) and use a spatula or bench scraper to spread the marshmallow evenly in the pan, pushing it down into the corners.
Mine literally came to the tippy top of the pan!
Work quickly, as the marshmallow becomes more difficult to manipulate as it begins to set.

Spray a sheet of plastic wrap liberally with cooking spray and lay it across the top of the marshmallow, sprayed side down.
Using you fingers, smooth the plastic wrap on top of the marshmallows a bit to seal it smoothly and tightly against the mixture.

Leave the marshmallow to set at room temperature for at least 3 hours or, even better, overnight.
The marshmallow will be too sticky and soft to cut if you try too soon.

When they are set, cut the Rice Krispie Treats.
Taste them, they're yummy....but the Rice Krispies themselves may be a little soft and not too crunchy.  But don't worry, they're still tasty, and we will remedy the slightly soggy Rice Krispies.

Put them on a baking sheet to dry slightly, rotating them so that the bottom side doesn't remain soggy.  It took about 3-4 hours for mine to be as crispy as I like.  I know it seems like a lot of time, but these are SO worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment