Facebook 1

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Tres leches cupcakes

I don't do things half way.  It's just not in my nature.   So when I decided to make cupcakes for Cinco de Mayo, I didn't stop at the churro cupcakes.  No.  I made these trea leches cupcakes, too!


I have to admit that I was obsessed -- obsessed!  maybe unhealthily so -- with the tres leches mixture that you pour over the cupcakes that I debated saving the extra for my coffee the next morning.  In the end, I didn't, but you can bet I had sweet dreams of sweet, milky iced coffee last night!



Tres Leches Cupcakes
From Taste and Tell

Ingredients:

6 large eggs, separated
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled (it didn't specify, but I used unsalted)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
6 Tbsp powdered sugar
Cinnamon, for dusting
Strawberries, cut into slices or quarters, for garnish (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325F.
Line 24 muffin tins with foil-lined cupcake liners.

Combine egg whites, baking soda, and salt.
Whip until soft peaks form.'
Add in the yolks and the sugar, and mix until combined.
Gently fold in the melted butter.
Add in the flour in 4 batches, folding in after each addition.
Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins.

Bake the cupcakes until lightly browned and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes.

While the cupcakes are baking, combine the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and 3/4 cup cream.

Remove the cupcakes form the oven.
Using a skewer or fork, poke holes all over the top of the cupcakes.

While the cupcakes are still a little warm, spoon the milk mixture over the tops of the cucpakes (You can ladle/spoon one spoonful of the mixture over each cupcake, and then repeat, until all of the milk mixture has been absorbed).

Allow the cupcakes to fully absorb the milk mixture, at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.

Make the whipped cream.
Beat the remaining 2 cups of heavy cream, slowly adding the powdered sugar.
Beat until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks.

Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
Serve with a slice of strawberry on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment