Facebook 1

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Nutella cheesecake cupcakes

I'm a sucker for Nutella.  I think it's absolutely delicious.  I love the silky chocolate and the hazelnut flavor.  I get that it's not for everyone, but I'm a big fan.


So when I saw a recipe for Nutella Cheesecake Cupcakes (or as I've been calling them, individual Nutella Cheesecakes), I knew I had to make them.  Enter the Jewish holiday of Shavuot and the consistent cheesecake recipe conversations at work, and I knew now was as good a time as any to try out the recipe.  Plus, they have an Oreo crust.  And then they're supposed to be topped with fresh whipped cream, so basically it's triple yumminess in one personal little cheesecake!



The original recipe suggested topping them with chopped hazelnuts, chopped chocolate, and/or chocolate sprinkles. I, however, had my own ideas...a drizzle of slightly melted Nutella and some square milk chocolate flakes that I had bought a while ago.  I thought simplicity would work in my favor on this one.



Nutella Cheesecake Cupcakes
From Cooking Classy

Ingredients:

12 Oreos (regular, not double-stuffed), finely crushed
1 1/2 Tbsp salted butter, melted (I used unsalted butter and just a pinch of salt)
6 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
12 oz cream cheese, well softened (use full fat)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk (preferable whole or 2%...I used cream since my milk was old)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Nutella

For the Topping:
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp powdered sugar

Chopped, toasted hazelnuts
Chopped chocolate
Chocolate sprinkles
Slightly melted Nutella

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325F.
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with papers.

Using a fork, blend together the crushed Oreos and butter.
Divide the mixture evenly between 12 muffin tins, about 1 heaping Tbsp in each.
Press crumbs into an even layer (I use the bottom of a shot glass).
Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool while preparing the filling.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and flour.
Add in cream cheese and, using an electric mixer, whip just until smooth.
Add in eggs.
Add in milk, sour cream, and vanilla and mix until just combined.
Add Nutella and mix until just combined.
Tap the bowl forcefully against the countertop about 30 times to release some of the air bubbles (I started doing this but found that it was noisy and that there weren't many air bubbles in my batter, and I stopped after about 10 times.).
Divide the mixture among the muffin cups, pouring it over the crusts and filling each cup nearly full, about 1/4 cup.  I had extra batter.

Bake in the 325 oven for 20-24 minutes until centers only jiggle slightly.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool to roomer temperature for 30 minutes.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap or foil and transfer to the fridge and chill 3 hours.

Make the sweetened whipped cream.

In a mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream on high with an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form.
Add in powdered sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
Add whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with the tip of your choice.

Serve with sweetened whipped cream, hazelnuts, chopped chocolate or sprinkles, or slightly melted Nutella.  Add the toppinsg within a few hours of serving.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge until serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment